English Department - Secondary
The English Department at Angels’ Academy endeavors to develop children’s abilities to listen, speak, read and write for a wide range of purposes, so using language to learn and communicate ideas, views and feelings. It enables children to express themselves creatively and imaginatively, as they become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry and drama, as well as non-fiction and media texts. Children gain an understanding of how language works by looking at its patterns, structures and origins. Children use their knowledge, skills and understanding in speaking and writing across a range of different situations.
The goals of the English department are:
- To foster a love for the language and promote a broader understanding of the subject.
- To make English fun and exciting.
- To ensure teaching and learning of a high standard is taking place in every lesson.
- To ensure every student makes continuous progress through target-setting and diagnostic feedback.
- To integrate Indian culture in English language teaching & learning.
- To enable students to express themselves correctly, creatively and imaginatively.
- To develop in students a competency in grammar.
Department Facilities / Resources
- The secondary school library has an extensive collection of fiction, non-fiction, magazines and reference books.
- Facility of English Language Lab with computers, LED Screen with microphones, DVD player, walkmans, LCD projector, Language lab software and DVDs.
- Teachers have access to DVD players, tape recorders, voice recording apparatus, laptops, and interactive whiteboards.
- Students have access to the Internet through computers in the Lab.
- Audio-visual aids are also available from the central storage area.
Co-curricular Activities & Competitions
- Literature & Language Quiz
- Spelling Bee
- Group Discussion
- Creative Writing